real food. real life.
In an attempt to write a quick post tonight, I was inspired by these pics and my husband saying he never knows how I make sauces. Well, here's one. And once you know one, you know them all. Super easy, versatile, and yummy. Enjoy!
Soy-Free Stir Fry Sauce
*I never measure this recipe, but I make it weekly. It is versatile and forgiving. Feel free to dabble and try different variations! Let me know what you try!
Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients: (makes about 1/2-3/4 cup of sauce... I think, never measured!)
2-3 tbsp coconut aminos (sometimes called coconut sauce, depending on brand)
1 tbsp sweetener of choice (I use maple syrup)
1-2 tsp white vinegar or rice vinegar or lime juice
3 tbsp water
1 tsp minced or powdered garlic
1 tsp minced or powdered ginger
few shakes of salt/pepper
1 tbsp corn starch
*optional: hot pepper flakes, peanut butter, tahini, almond butter, sesame oil, omit coconut amines altogether and add chilli powder/paprika to make a yummy sweet n' sour-ish sauce. The possibilities are endless!
What to do:
1) Add all ingredients except corn starch to a jar. Mix well to combine. Taste. Adjust.
2) Add corn starch and mix well.
3) Heat a small pot over medium-high, or use your wok and just push your freshly stir-fried veggies aside, and add your mixture. Whisk often until it becomes a little bubbly and starts to thicken. Reduce heat to low until the consistency is just how you want it. Pour onto of veggies and enjoy!
I'm just going to let the pictures do the talking here. I got a little photo happy with this delicious meal. Also, I'm off to eat the leftovers for lunch. It is super super yummy. Light, spicy, and filled with flavour. Enjoy!
Spiced Chickpea Fajitas
Time: 10 minutes!!
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp maple syrup
1-2 tsp cumin, chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
few shakes of black pepper and cilantro
1 red pepper, sliced into strips
1 onion, sliced into strips
1-3 mushrooms, chopped
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 cup water
tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili, paprika
sprinkle of salt
*Add spices to water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, add rice, cover and let sit for 20-40 minutes, or according to package.
2 tbsp Vegan Soy-free Butter
1 tbsp Flour
1 tsp-ish each: garlic powder, onion powder, chili, cumin, paprika
1/8 tsp each cayenne pepper, salt, pepper
1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 small can tomato paste
*Melt butter over medium heat, add flour. Whisk together, add spices until fragrant. Add broth and tomato paste and whisk until thoroughly combined. Reduce heat once it starts to thicken after a couple minutes.
Fresh Corn or Flour Tortillas (Here's a recipe for the ones we make!)
Chopped fresh tomatoes, lettuce, green onion, salsa, avocado, guacamole
What to do:
1) Add chickpeas, spices, lime juice, maple syrup and garlic to a pan over medium heat. Stir to combine and heat thoroughly until fragrant.
2) Remove from heat and transfer to a dish, or leave on heat and add in onion, mushroom, and red pepper. Add just a splash of oil or water to loosen up the flavour left behind. Stir and cook over medium heat, until glistening and just a touch softer, but still with a crunch. Remove from heat.
3) Assemble fajitas! We put in ours tonight: spiced chickpeas, spiced rice, sauteed peppers/onion/mushroom, tomato, lettuce, green onion, and enchilada sauce. YUUUUM!
Comfort food? Yes please!
Cooking and eating delicious home-cooked meals with my family - it's nostalgic, it's warm, it's friendly. It's, honestly, what I look forward to at the end of each day. Getting in the kitchen at the end of a busy day is the reward to the day. Even with the challenge of an empty fridge mid-week and minutes to figure something out, there is no stress. The kitchen is my calm.
Creamy, cheesy, easy, peasy. Ready in 15 minutes. So good, enjoy!
Cashew Mac n' Cheeze
Total time: 15 minutes + soaking time for cashews
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...