I'm calling it a stew. It's hearty, deep in flavour, and full of chunky vegetables. I used what I had, but ideally, it would be even better with potato or sweet potato, turnip, squash, parsnip - yum! But the cauliflower was delicious, I'd use that again for sure.
Best part - leftovers the next day were even better.
Enjoy this easy, one pot meal! Hannah approved, although this kid will eat most things, it seems!
Spiced Vegetable & Quinoa Stew
2 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery
1/2 head cauliflower
1/2 head broccoli
1 red pepper
(Optional replace/add vegetables of choice: potato, sweet potato, turnip, squash, parsnip - all would go really well in this stew!)
spices used (estimating about 1-2 tsp each: fennel seeds, garam marsala, cumin, oregano, ginger, turmeric, paprika
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
Salt and pepper, as needed, always
What to do:
1) Cook onion, garlic, carrots, and celery over medium heat in soup pot, in a bit of oil or water for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add all other vegetables and stir in spices. Cook for a few more minutes until things are sizzling and smelling ammmmmazing.
3. Add diced tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Stirring to ensure things don't stick. Let boil for just a minute or two until carrots start to soften a little.
4. Add in quinoa and reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir then cover and let sit for about 10-15 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked to your preferred texture. Flavours will deepen as it simmers, too. Stir and serve up with crackers or a delicious piece of homemade bread!
5. Store leftovers in fridge and definitely enjoy for lunch the next day as it just keeps getting better as the flavours sit! SO good!
*This meal would work well in a slow cooker, as well. Just add all ingredients, cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-4 hours, or until vegetables and quinoa are desired texture.