real food. real life.
I'm calling it a stew. It's hearty, deep in flavour, and full of chunky vegetables. I used what I had, but ideally, it would be even better with potato or sweet potato, turnip, squash, parsnip - yum! But the cauliflower was delicious, I'd use that again for sure.
Best part - leftovers the next day were even better.
Enjoy this easy, one pot meal! Hannah approved, although this kid will eat most things, it seems!
Spiced Vegetable & Quinoa Stew
2 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery
1/2 head cauliflower
1/2 head broccoli
1 red pepper
(Optional replace/add vegetables of choice: potato, sweet potato, turnip, squash, parsnip - all would go really well in this stew!)
spices used (estimating about 1-2 tsp each: fennel seeds, garam marsala, cumin, oregano, ginger, turmeric, paprika
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
What to do:
1) Cook onion, garlic, carrots, and celery over medium heat in soup pot, in a bit of oil or water for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add all other vegetables and stir in spices. Cook for a few more minutes until things are sizzling and smelling ammmmmazing.
3. Add diced tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Stirring to ensure things don't stick. Let boil for just a minute or two until carrots start to soften a little.
4. Add in quinoa and reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir then cover and let sit for about 10-15 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked to your preferred texture. Flavours will deepen as it simmers, too. Stir and serve up with crackers or a delicious piece of homemade bread!
5. Store leftovers in fridge and definitely enjoy for lunch the next day as it just keeps getting better as the flavours sit! SO good!
*This meal would work well in a slow cooker, as well. Just add all ingredients, cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-4 hours, or until vegetables and quinoa are desired texture.
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...