real food. real life.
I hear it's supposed to rain all week. Excellent. Lasagna for days!
This version has won over even the toughest cheese lovin' meat eating critics. We recognize sometimes our plant-based meals don't compare to the meat alternative if you're not used to it, but this one is a strong competitor.
And the next day? Tastes even better! Makes excellent leftovers.
Vegetarian Lasagne with Creamy 'cheesy' Cashew Sauce
1/2 Package of Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles OR Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles (We actually prefer these brown rice noodles instead of whole wheat for this recipe)
Fresh or jarred tomato sauce (lots and lots, 2-4 jars, depending)
1 red pepper, chopped
a few handfuls of spinach
any other veggies you want to throw in there!
1 cup cashews, soaked for at 30 minute or overnight is best
1-2 garlic cloves
1 onion, chopped
pinch sea salt & pepper
3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
Squeeze of half or full lemon
1 tsp dijon mustard
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare lasagna noodles as per directions. We like the Brown Rice Noodles, oven ready. Just means you need lots of sauce!
3. Prepare cheese sauce by blending all ingredients in a food processor. Add some of the cashew water, as needed, to get a consistency that you'd like.
4. Prepare lasagna. Here's the order I did ours in: Tomato sauce, noodles, spinach, peppers, tomato sauce, noodles, cheese sauce, tomato sauce, noodles, tomato sauce, zucchini, noodles, tomato sauce, nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.
5. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, covered. Bake uncovered for another 5 minutes to crisp up the top. Sprinkle with parsley. Enjoy!
All Vegan, Refined-Sugar-free, Soy-free. A sprinkling of Gluten-free. And a pic of my babies, when they were babies. :)