real food. real life.
We are deep into apple season in our CSA shares! There have been apples in both our veggie and fruit shares for the past few weeks, and I know there's still more to come! We love a good apple snack, and I'm often caught dipping apple slices into the peanut butter jar late at night (okay, anyone who knows me knows that late at night is not really that late...), but with the extra apples we've been getting lately, it's time to use up a bunch at one time.
So - insert Lee's constant nagging for apple crisp. :)
Here you go honey, love you!
4-5 Pears, chopped
4-5 Apples, chopped
Drizzle of Maple Syrup
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
2/3 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup oil (I used vegetable oil this time)
1 tsp vanilla
What to do:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Grease baking dish with oil. Add filling ingredients and mix together until apples and pears are all coated with the maple/cinnamon/nutmeg mixture. Spread out flat in dish.
3) In a small mixing bowl, combine dry topping ingredients until the flour is well mixed in and it starts to look crumbly. Pour evenly over filling until most of the apple/pears are covered.
4) Cover and bake in oven for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 20-25 minutes until apples are soft and topping is crisp!
5) Serve with Banana Ice Cream or another favourite frozen treat, or on its' own!
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...