Okay, this one is easy. Really easy.
Here is my on the fly, last minute meal, that everyone loves.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Pasta of choice, cooked to al dente
drizzle of olive oil for cooking
1 can of black beans
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 pint of grape tomatoes or 1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
any other add-ins: spinach, hot peppers, olives, etc. we added some chopped dandelion greens (yes, I know, totally weird but they are yummy and we get so many of them in our CSA this time of year)
Spices: I'm guesstimating I added about 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp cilantro flakes
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/2 (or more) of salsa of choice!
*Fresh crunchy lettuce, roughly chopped (optional)
What to do:
1) Use leftover cooked pasta - just set aside until ready to use, maybe heat up in the microwave - or start the pasta cooking process by boiling water, etc. You know what to do here... I hope. ***If you are making your pasta, do remember to save a cup of the hot starchy water that the pasta cooked in before you drain your pasta. It is a great tool to get your sauce to stick to the noodles.
2) Heat oil over medium heat in a cast iron pan, or any kind of pan, it really doesn't matter. Add onion and garlic and continue cooking, stirring, for another 3-4 minutes until things smell awesome.
3) Add in your crunchier veggies, like peppers and frozen corn. Cook, stirring, for another 3 minutes or so. Add in your softer veggies, like tomatoes and greens. Add beans and stir.
4) Add in spices and lime juice. You should get a super awesome sizzle here. Make sure you stir and scrap from the bottom of the pan to lift off that flavour. Add a bit of water here if it seems too dry. Not too much, I'm talking like a tbsp, just to move things around easier.
5) Turn heat to low. Add in your pasta and toss to combine everything. Then, the final touch, add your salsa! And, if you remembered, add in a bit of your hot starchy water you saved before you drained your pasta. Stir everything until evenly combined. Then, serve up and eat! Yum! Place atop some fresh chopped lettuce, avocado, nutritional yeast, etc.