real food. real life.
Creamy Corn Chowder
Ooooooh yes, that's right. Amateur photographer mistakenly gets self captured in the spoon. Oops!
Oooooh yes, that's right. Corn Chowder.
Yep! For us non-dairy folk! Chowder! Crazy.
Total Time: 30 minutes, give or take a few for how many distractions you have in your kitchen
1 tsbp-ish coconut oil for cooking
1 onion, diced (or a bunch of finely chopped chives will do fine, it's chive season!)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 potatoes, peeled (if desired) and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped (if you have it! I did not)
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
pinch sea salt/pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp paprika
1 can coconut milk
2 cups water + 1 organic vegetable bouillon cube
1 tsp white wine vinegar or lemon/lime squeeze if you don't have the vinegar!
What to do:
1) Heat oil over medium heat in soup pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute until smelling amazing.
2) Add potatoes, carrots, and celery. Sauce for about 5 minutes, until just starting to soften.
3) Add salt, pepper, celery seed, paprika, coconut milk, water + bouillon. Stir to evenly combine. Turn up the heat to high to bring to a boil. Add the vinegar, or citrus, and turn heat to simmer/medium to let the vegetables soften and absorb all of that awesome coconut milk and spices. This might take about 10-15 minutes. Test with a fork, piercing into a carrot to see if it's done.
4) Remove from heat. Taste test to see if you prefer more salt. I did. Now, you can eat it just like this, once it cools a bit, or, to get it even thicker, take an immersion blender and blend just a few times randomly throughout the pot. (Or scoop out a quarter of the soup into a blender, blend, and return back to the pot.) You'll get this awesomely thick, creamy texture without the heavy dairy cream!
5) To make it pretty, add a couple chopped chives to the top. And a sprinkle of paprika looks good, too.
All Vegan, Refined-Sugar-free, Soy-free. A sprinkling of Gluten-free. And a pic of my babies, when they were babies. :)