Easiest soup there is. I grew up eating it. Super warm and cozy. Versatile, too. Yum! It goes well with a crust of homemade bread!
Total Time: 30 minutes or so.
Drizzle of Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
3-4 medium sized potatoes (I leave skins on) , chopped
2-3 medium sized carrots (I also leave skins on) , chopped
Other vegetables of choice: sweet potato, parsnip, squash, broccoli, celery, etc.
Vegetable Broth: Add enough that just barely covers the vegetables in the pot (amount varies on vegetables used)
Spices: I usually add 4-5 good shakes of basil, oregano, summer savoury, sea salt, pepper. Plus, a smaller amount of ginger and cinnamon.
Drizzle of milk of choice (coconut, almond, rice, hemp, regular, etc.)
What to do:
1) Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant. Usually about 3-5 minutes.
2) Add chopped veggies and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes until bottom of pan is browning. Add spices and keep stirring.
3) Add broth until it just touches the tops of the veggies. Do not cover the veggies too much or your soup will be too watery. Turn heat to high and stir.
4) Bring to a boil and boil until veggies are cooked well, about 10 minutes or so. Stir often.
5) Bring heat to low. Pierce veggies with a fork to see if they are nice and soft. Remove from heat and blend with blender or emulsifier until completely smooth. Add drizzle of milk of choice and continue blending until creamy smooth. Test taste and add more salt/pepper as needed.