real food. real life.
Okay, first time making these and they were better than I thought they would be. I know everyone says you don't taste the beets. And I have to agree, so here you go, I'll say it this time. You don't taste the beets. You taste chocolate fudgy cake. No beets. Promise. I first tried them with roasted beets, which took longer. So I then tried them with raw beets and they tasted the same to me. So, here's my adapted recipe from this website for quicker fudge chocolate beet cupcakes. Oh, and I forgot to mention - these are vegan as well - no dairy, no soy, no refined sugar, no egg, and no nuts (if using nut-free milk). These do use whole wheat flour, but you could easily sub in a different flour to make it gluten free.
Total Time: 30 minutes or so
2 medium beets, washed and grated
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or another milk of choice)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup canola or melted coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 heaping Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder + more for topping
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
What to do:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Use muffin liners - this recipe should make about 10-12 regular size cupcakes.
2) Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3) In a separate bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Let sit for a minute. Then add beets, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Use electric mixer and blend until foamy.
4) Add dry to wet, mixing well until it becomes a sticky dark brown batter.
5) Pour into lined muffin tins, about 3/4 way up. Bake in over for about 22-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Top with cocoa powder once they are cooled. Enjoy!!