real food. real life.
My favourite way to eat up all of those healthy greens is to cook them into something else - you barely know they are there and when they wilt down, you end up eating more than you normally would! Win, win! Here's a very common use of our greens - hidden in a tomato sauce with pasta. I think in this one is also some asparagus, too, not sure, still good though!
Total Time: 20 minutes
Oil for cooking
4-5 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
any other veggies using (peppers, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, etc.)
4-5 handfuls of leafy greens (anything will do, but my favorites are spinach, kale, mustard greens, beet greens, swiss chard, - actually, I don't have a favourite. I like them all)
1 can of organic/natural tomato paste
a large pinch of basil, oregano, parsley
a small pinch of chilli peppers, sea salt, pepper
about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar... not sure on the measurements, I just pour....
Water - if needed
What to do:
1) Heat oil in a large skillet/pot on medium heat. Add tomatoes and garlic, stir, and cover. Let cook for about 10 minutes stirring constantly and helping them to break down. They should cook down well, until they are still a bit chunky, with runny tomato juices flowing in the pan.
2) Add spices and other veggies, if using. Stir and sauté a little, for about 4 minutes.
3) Turn heat to low and add tomato paste. Stir well to combine with cooking veggies. Add vinegar and stir until a nice smooth consistency. I sometimes add a bit of water if the tomato juices have cooked down too much.
4) I add the greens last and watch them wilt into the sauce. Stir.
5) Taste the sauce! Best part! Adjust seasoning for your own taste buds. Enjoy over pasta, on pizza, or as a dipping sauce for bread! I may have to make this tomorrow night - it has got me craving tomato-y pasta! Yum!
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...