It tastes as good as it looks.
Garden fresh summertime veggies in a sweet and saucy balsamic glaze, mixed with my most precious staple - spaghetti noodles. Sprinkled with roasted pipits because, hey, why not.
I give you this, awesome 10 minute dish for supper tonight.
Balsamic Spaghetti with Garlic Scapes, Zucchini, and Roasted Pepitas
Spaghetti Noodle of Choice (We used whole wheat)
1 small onion, diced because who likes long pieces of onion? Not me.
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or water for sautéing
*Cast Iron Pan - Seriously, get one, use it. Makes this dish better, I swear.
1 small zucchini, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
4 garlic scapes, chopped
1 ripe tomato, chopped
4 swiss chard leaves (or green of choice, optional), chopped
Balsamic Vinegar (don't measure - add bits at a time until taste is right for you)
2 tbsp Maple Syrup
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for added Sauciness, optional
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
chopped fresh basil and oregano, as much as you want (or dried)
sea salt/pepper to taste
1/2 cup pepitas
What to do:
1) Cook noodles according to package. Set aside until ready to add in.
2) Heat oil or water in cast iron pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook and stir until smelling awesome and slightly coloured. Add in garlic scapes. Keep on stirring. Keep on cooking. Keep on smelling amazing.
3) Add in rest of veggies and stir, stir, stir. Add a bit more oil or water if needed. By now, they should be getting a bit browned from the awesomeness of a cast iron pan.
4) Add in a drizzle of balsamic. Stir. Add in a bit more. Reduce heat to low-medium. Add in maple syrup, hot pepper flakes, fresh basil and oregano. Stir to coat and mix. Add a touch of oil if you want it a bit more saucier. Taste test. Add sea salt/pepper and more balsamic if you'd like. (I did) Add in noodles and toss to coat. Turn off heat.
5) Roast pepita seeds in a small pan over medium heat then sprinkle over top of noodles. Eat up and return back for seconds. No judgement here.