real food. real life.
In an attempt to really cook with the ingredients I already have, I took a look through our veggies first. Lots of carrots, broccoli, snow peas, garlic scapes, green onions, and a few potatoes. Hmmm... We've done the BBQ, salads, stir fries, roasting. I am trying hard not to run to the grocery store in order to make dinner. Time to just make something with what I already have in the cupboards. So I grabbed the jar of whole wheat egg noodles in the cupboard and a chicken breast from the freezer, and so be it - Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup! It turned out great, so I'm posting. It's basically just a basic soup with lots of chicken stock, vegetables, noodles and chicken... not hard! I always buy an organic chicken stock that has real ingredients - nothing added to it, you can find it in the organic section of the grocery store. Makes me feel better about not making stock from scratch. This made a large pot, which is great for second helpings and frozen servings to pack for lunches.
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 frozen chicken breast, chopped into small pieces
drizzle of vegetable oil
handful of garlic scales
large green onion stalk
1 head broccoli, chopped
5-6 fresh small carrots, chopped
handful or two of snow peas
4-5 small potatoes, chopped
6 cups chicken stock
Spices: sea salt, pepper, rosemary, basil, oregano, summer savoury
Handful of whole wheat egg noodles
Fresh Lemon slices
What to do:
1) Heat oil in soup pot. Add chicken and toss till cooked and browning. Add garlic and onion, stir fry for a minute.
2) Add potatoes and carrots. Cook for a few minutes than add broccoli and snow peas.
3) Add chicken stock and spices. Bring to a boil. Cook until vegetables start to soften.
4) Add noodles. Continue on high heat for another 7-8 minutes, until noodles are almost done.
5) Remove from heat to avoid overcooking. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice overtop. Yum!
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...