real food. real life.
Yes, it's clean, I swear. And so, so amazing. We made this for New Year's Eve in an attempt to makeover our Chinese Food Takeout favourites: Sweet n' sour chicken, spicy rice noodles, and spring rolls with a sweet plum-like sauce.
This was a new recipe and it turned out great! So easy, we made it again last night!
Here it is, enjoy!
Total time: 4-5 hours in slow cooker
1 onion, sliced
2 slices of fresh pineapple, chopped
2 thawed chicken breasts, chopped
Sauce: 2 tbsp honey, 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you can eat it!), 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cilantro, 1 tsp chilli pepper flakes, and a dash of chilli powder and paprika
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp water & corn starch (optional)
What to do:
1) Add onion, pineapple and chicken to the slow cooker.
2) Whisk sauce ingredients in a separate bowl. Then, add to slow cooker. Stir together.
3) Cook on high for 4 hours or so. Stir a few times if you're around.
4) After chicken is cooked through and onions are super super soft, add peppers and water/corn starch mix. Stir together with the sauce and replace lid. The cornstarch/water mix should help the sauce thicken up. You can skip the cornstarch/water mix if you're not eating corn starch. Your sauce just won't be thick, still yummy, just not thick. I add the peppers at this stage because I don't like super soggy peppers. :)
5) After about another 20-30 minutes, your sauce should be thickened and ready to serve! Yummmmm over rice or noodles.
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...