real food. real life.
With our CSA food, we've definitely broadened our veggie intake. Like Japanese Turnips? Yeah, I had never heard of or seen these before - ever! Trying new veggies that we've never heard about is becoming fun and is teaching us more and more about how to cook different flavours. If you had told me a couple years ago that I'd now be excited to try a Japanese Turnip, I'd call you crazy! I am so happy with how adventurous we are getting with cooking and food choices, and how we are becoming more and more healthier and local.
This meal came about from wanting to roast our new Japanese Turnips because I love any vegetable roasted, but also having a ton of leafy greens in our fridge that we didn't want to go bad. Having picked up some chicken that week, this meal emerged! We tend to use Ginger and Lime on our BBQ'd chicken a lot, so I'm glad I'm finally posting it. Combined with the Turnips and salad,it was even more delicious! Here is the recipe we used for all parts of it: Ginger Lime Chicken, Roasted Japanese Turnips, Green Salad and the Honey Green Onion Vinaigrette we put on top.
Total Time from Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Ginger Lime Chicken:
1 inch of ginger, minced
2 tablespoons honey
juice of half of a lime
Roasted Japanese Turnips:
4-5 Japanese Turnips, washed, sliced
drizzle of maple syrup
drizzle of Oil
Pea Shoots, Chopped
Lettuce Mix, washed
Asian Greens, washed
Honey Green Onion Vinaigrette:
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 green onion, chopped
1 tbsp honey
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1/4 lemon
What to do:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix turnips, maple syrup, oil, sea salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread onto baking sheet until turnips are not touching and laying flat. Cook in over for 20-25 minutes, until soft.
2) Cook Chicken on BBQ. Combine Honey, Ginger, and Lime juice and brush onto chicken, both sides, until evenly coated and chicken is cooked through. Cut into strips to put onto of salad.
3) Prepare green salad on plate.
4) Combine all ingredients for vinaigrette and shake/stir well.
5) Arrange chicken and Turnips on top of chicken and add vinaigrette. Hope you like it!
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...