real food. real life.
A favourite around here... Well, for me, anything with rice is a favourite, but this one always tastes great and is perfect for chilly days or when you feel that head cold coming on... Plus, it's super easy to make and is pretty darn healthy for you! Nothing much to it, just some veggies, 1 chicken breast or a couple chicken thighs, and a handful of rice! The main ingredient that gives it flavour is the stock - I always buy an organic, non-gmo chicken and/or veggie stock. Full of natural ingredients, you get that chicken soup flavour without the added preservatives and sugar!
Here's the recipe I used for last night's version (picture above):
Total time: 30 min.
Servings: gave us about 4 bowls - just the right amount for a small family. Could very easily add more of each ingredient to make a bigger batch!
3 chicken thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
A drizzle of vegetable oil for cooking (very small amount if using chicken thighs - they give off their own fat to cook in)
3 cloves garlic, minced
Veggies of choice: we used 2 carrots - chopped, 1/2 head broccoli plus stem - chopped, 1/4 napa cabbage - chopped, 4 leaves of kale - chopped. I would have also used onions here... but sadly, I had none :(
Stock of choice: vegetable or chicken - I had 1/2 cube chicken left, so I used that plus 2 cubes vegetable + 6 cups water
Handful of uncooked rice of choice: I used a white/wild blend (I cannot seem to get Lee on the brown rice wagon, yet!)
Spices: sea salt, pepper, summer savoury, basil, oregano
What I did:
1) Cook chicken in a bit of oil, stirring often, until cooked through and no longer pink. Add garlic and stir, cooking until fragrant.
2) Add onions if using, broccoli and carrots. Stir and cook for a minute, then add seasoning (water, stock cubes, spices).
3) Turn up heat and bring to a boil to cook vegetables. Add softer veggies, like cabbage and kale once other vegetables are misty cooked. Stir.
4) Turn down heat to low. Add rice and stir so it doesn't stick to the bottom. Let sit on low, stirring often, for about 15-20 minutes or until rice is done.
5) Remove from heat to not overcook rice and veggies. Test taste, add seasoning if needed. Enjoy with crackers or a nice crust of bread! YUUUUM!
We really cooked these things. From scratch. On weeknights. And we even had time to do the dishes.
They have real, simple ingredients that you'll find in your cupboards. They're healthy and delicious. No lies.
Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!
Here's a pic of me and my babies. Just because.
A Bit About Me...