real food. real life.
This was my attempt at trying to replicate a favorite dish of mine at The Heartwood, a local vegetarian restaurant that is amazing! If you've never been, go!
Total Time from Start to Finish: 30 minutes
1 sweet potato, washed and chopped (I leave the skins on, just my preference)
Oil & water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. ginger, minced
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup chopped bok choy
1/2 cup chopped kale
4-5 chopped asparagus
1 cup cooked rice (I used jasmine rice tonight, for no apparent reason, just to mix it up)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter, warmed a bit so it is smooth and creamy
1/4 cup honey
1/4 coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you can have soy)
Sprinkle of chill pepper flakes, tabasco sauce, cilantro
Squeeze and zest of 1/2 lime
What to do:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread chopped sweet potato on baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Roast in over for about 25 minutes, or until just slightly soft. (if you cooked too long, they will be come too soft and break apart)
2) Heat a bit of oil, mixed with water, in the wok. Add garlic, ginger and broccoli first, as it takes the longest. Cover and let steam for a few minutes. Uncover and toss about as necessary. Add remaining veggies and steam a few minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, add to wok and stir fry for a minute. Remove from heat until ready to serve.
3) Blend all ingredients for sauce together, shouldn't take long if your peanut butter is slightly warmed to a smoother consistency. Transfer to a saucepan to heat slightly.
4) Cook rice as directed or use leftover rice. Arrange veggies on top of rice and pour sauce over top. Yum!!!
Total Time from start to finish: 30 minutes
Ingredients we used:
Veggies to stir fry: broccoli, carrots, green beans, bok choy, green cabbage, kale, red and yellow peppers
Oil for cooking
1 package brown rice noodles, vermicelli style
Sauce: 1/2 cup coconut aminos, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp. tahini, 1 tbsp. ginger, 1/2 tbsp. garlic, 1 tsp chili pepper flakes, 1/4 cup sesame oil, 1 tsp maple syrup
What we did:
1) Stir fry firm veggies first, in oil in a wok (carrots, broccoli, beans) then add soft veggies.
2) Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to a boil. Add rice noodles. Stir until seperated, about 2-3 minutes max. Drain.
3) While doing this, combine all ingredients for the sauce. Let stand until ready to use.
4) Stir veggies, sauce and noodles together, over medium heat.